UX Strategist, Executive. Background in User Experience Design, Design Management, Visual Design, Interaction Design, Product Strategy, User Experience Research and Design Thinking.
Track record building UX design teams focused on delivering effortless customer experiences that synthesize business viability, technical feasibility and customer desirability.
Delivering technologies and software that facilitate human centered, conversational experiences between businesses and consumers. Products include: mobile chat applications; desktop enterprise software for digital and human agents; improving customer outcomes by integrating big data with design best practices.
Chief Design Officer, 7 Inc.; Campbell, CA – 2012–Present
Setup the Design Studio, a global 40+ person UED team to improve, evolve, invent and transform enterprise to consumer communication across an omnichannel engagement platform that engages 1.5 billion conversations, human and digital, annually.
Product designs include a multimodal fraud alert and payment application for a major credit card company; multi factorial testing combining predictive analytics with design best practices for increased customer conversion; chat agent console redesign to optimize agent productivity. Enterprise chat for Synchronous and asynchronous messaging. Digital Agent (Bot) design.
Consultant; Redwood City, CA – 2006-2012
UX consultant supporting startups and enterprise develop growth oriented, customer informed web and mobile products. Clients include, McAfee, Cloudshield and ReQall.
Sr. Director, Yahoo!; Sunnyvale, CA – 2001-2006
Led a 150+ UX team working across business teams, Mail, Messenger, Photos, Media, Search and ICE. Introduced processes to improve network design consistency; increased retention providing career paths for designers; built an internship pipeline for future talent; hired design directors to work with business unit heads on strategy.
Led a 20+ team for the Integrated Consumer Experiences (ICE) division. Responsible for bringing next generation product ideas for mobile, desktop, TV, and integrated devices to life across Yahoo!’s products.
Led a 35+ team to redesign all the media websites including Y! Sport and Y! News. Y! Sport moved from #4 to #2 behind market leader ESPN and monthly visitors increased 52%. Y! News moved to the #1 news site category on the web and unique visitors increased five times within a year of launch.
Principal UI Designer, Excite@Home; CA – 1999-2001
Proposed detailed interaction specifications for mobile WAP applications. Redesigned the Universal Registration System and improved conversion by 12%. Designed Excite Music enabling users to listen and store their music. Post-acquisition, helped designed the @Home broadband service, making it the largest broadband service provider at the time.
Director, Studio Archetype; San Francisco, CA – 1997-1999
Led web and software application design and introduced user-centered design practice to broaden the firm’s revenue streams. Product research and designs included: UI specs for Peoplesoft.com and Realtor.com. Interaction specs and prototypes for Kodak Photo CD; Research and concept storyboards for IBM Research Intranet for Gen X IT professionals.
Manager, ATG, Apple; Cupertino, CA – 1993-1997
Set up a multi-disciplinary team to research and prototype alternative information displays and user/device interaction mechanisms. “Big Table” was a large multi-user interactive table which explored the implications of new technologies, based on real-world user activity, developments in display technology, and customer needs.
Managed the research and design of a user-centered software data capture application for the Government of India, which represented a potential $11M in sales and transfer of mobile technology into an emerging market. Designed user interface prototypes for Messageworld, a nascent social media content browsing and voting application; 3Desque, a 3-D finder for the Macintosh.
Other responsibilities included: liaison officer for the Apple student design awards in UK and India; Presenter of the Advanced Technology Groups research at Apple WWDC.
- Grisedale, S., Miller, G., Anderson, K. “3Desque: Interface Elements for a 3-D Graphical User Interface”. The Journal of Visualization and Computer Animation. Volume 10, 109-119; 1999.
- Graves, M., Grisedale, S., Grünsteidl, A. “Unfamiliar Ground: Designing Technology to Support Rural Healthcare Workers in India”. SIGCHI Bulletin. Volume 30, Number 2. April, 1998.
- Grisedale, S., Grünsteidl, A., Graves, M. “Designing a Graphical User Interface for Healthcare Workers in Rural India”. Conference Proceedings, ACM SIG CHI, 1997.
- Grisedale, S. “Padma’s Story: A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Worker in Rajasthan.” Video, Apple Computer Inc., October, 1995.
In the Press
Forrester “Business Model and Brand Fuel Customer Experience Innovation – How To Dodge Innovation Copycats by Kerry Bodine
- Women 2.0, California, USA – Lean Startup Methods for Women Founders, 2012.
- Harvard Business School, Boston, USA – Executive Program, AIGA Business Perspectives for Design Leaders, 2005.
- The Royal College of Art, London, UK – Master of Arts, Computer Related Design, 1993.
- University of Westminster. London, UK – Bachelor of Arts with Honors (1st), Graphic Information Design, 1991.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts, London, UK – 1991.
- Winner, Royal Society of the Arts Communications and Information Technology Competition, London, UK – 1991.
- Chartered Society of Designers, Winner, Medal for Graphic Design, London, UK – 1991.
Enterprise Chat, Omnichannel UX Strategy, Conversational AI Design, , Multimodal Application Design; Creative Direction (interface visual design, branding, interaction design, information architecture), Online Strategy, UX Design Management, User Experience Research and User Centered Design (UCD).