Engaged by ReQall, a 4 year old mobile startup, to infuse the spirit of human centered design into defining the next generation of mobile personal assistant
Challenge: I set up and led a series of workshops with the entire international mobile team exploring the creation process for the next generation of service, informed by customer and team insights. The vision process included some of the following team activities which I led.
- Sharing stories from the team and from customer insights, helped the team frame the context for design. The stories were about real people and their lives and served as inspiration opportunities, ideas and solutions.
- Identifying patterns and themes arising from the stories, revealed overarching truths. The truths let us see the design challenge in a new light
- Creating opportunity areas meant spending time on each pattern or theme and asking “How might we…” It was a stepping stone to idea generation
- Brainstorming new solutions took the themes to the next level and were illustrated simply with words and pictures often on bits of card or the whiteboard. To keep the brainstorms real, we kept asking; How might we? Who will benefit from the idea? What is the value? How will payment be collected?
- Generated opportunities, solutions and storyboards to inform prototypes for testing and feedback
- United the team around a shared context for design of the next set of services
- Fostered a generative mindset within the team
- Led to solutions informed by genuine needs and connections to deep thoughts and feelings
Testimonial: “We brought in Sally to bring cohesion to our design process. In particular, Sally facilitated the team’s participation in the process by infusing human centered and emotional aspects into design – an area in which she excels. Her contributions are much appreciated by one and all on our team.”
Rao Machiraju, CEO, ReQall
Role: Workshop leader and facilitator